Abre Community Forums Feature Requests Mark Learn Stories as "Read" to remove from homepage

Tagged: 

• Author
    Up
    Down
    No Thanks
    Megan
    Participant

It would be great if once I read an announcement on the homepage if it would then disappear or maybe even be moved to a “read/viewed/done” section. Whether that happens once I open it and view or if I select it as done – I would see either working. But for those of us that like to keep our homepages clean, it would be great to be able to move through those and clean them up.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Megan.
  • Please
    Up
    Down
    No Thanks
    Zach Vander Veen
    Keymaster

@megan

Interesting. So you’re approaching the announcement stream more as an email inbox rather than a news feed (ala facebook or a blog)?

• Please
    Up
    Down
    No Thanks
    Megan
    Participant

I’ll first add that I am new to Abre so I don’t have a ton of experience with this yet. But but yes, I can already say that it will drive me nuts to see the same story day after day until it’s removed. If it could be used more like an email stream I think it would become more viable for those that I work with. Even with facebook once I view something, I’m not seeing it (usually) the next day and am instead viewing new posts/items. If I have to wait until an announcement is taken down or run it’s course will end up with me (and others that I work with) to ignore those items. I mentioned this in a training and everyone in the room agreed so I figured I’d pass it along 🙂

• Please
      Up
      Down
      No Thanks
      Zach Vander Veen
      Keymaster

Okay – that makes a bit more sense. It’s likely because you all are just starting with Abre and it’s summer. Typically, as a best practice, content is updated very frequently (new posts every day).

• Please
    Up
    Down
    No Thanks
    Megan
    Participant

Addition: that doesn’t really pertain to channels… just individual announcements.

• Please
    Up
    Down
    No Thanks
    Heather
    Participant

If it is the case that content is updated frequently enough that this change is not necessary, might it be possible to flag one as a to-do? For instance, an announcement is made about open house and I as a student or teacher want to be reminded of this at a certain time (think of this like the Reminders App) and do not want it to disappear, but it is not considered an assignment so it would not show up on the calendar.

• Please
      Up
      Down
      No Thanks
      Zach Vander Veen
      Keymaster

@heather The way we’ve seen some districts do this is to create 2 announcements at the same time:

1. One announcement that goes live immediately.
      2. A second one is scheduled for release the day before event (a reminder announcement). Sometimes coupled with a Headline.

A few folk have recommended a “sticky” announcement – but that has its downsides as well. I suspect our future development of notifications will solve much of this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.